Wedding Ceremonies can only be performed by a Commonwealth Registered Marriage Celebrant.

You must lodge the official Notice of Intended Marriage document with your celebrant at least one calendar month prior to the day of your wedding ceremony.

The Notice of Intended Marriage does expire – so if you lodge this form with your celebrant and have not married within 18 months of lodgement date, you must lodge another form with your celebrant. Expired forms may not be used and will not be accepted by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages.

In exceptional circumstances, permission for a Shortening of Time may be granted by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages – if you need to be married in less than the standard 30 days of lodging your Notice of Intended Marriage with your celebrant.